Learn how to make Grilled Bacon Cinnamon Rolls!
These Grilled Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with maple brown sugar icing & candied bacon are a show-stopping treat to cook for your family. As we all know, bacon makes everything better, & cinnamon rolls are no exception! Great for breakfast, brunch, or an after-dinner dessert, once you get a taste you won’t be able to stop eating these.
- Pack of cinnamon rolls
- Pack of thin-cut bacon strips
- G-Que BBQ’s the Rub
- Brown sugar
- Hickory wood
- Prep a charcoal chimney & pour the coals into 1 side of the PK grill, leaving the other side empty in order to create an area of indirect heat. Set up the air intakes for proper airflow. Watch the video below to see how it’s done!
- Count out 1 strip of bacon per cinnamon roll (usually 8 per package) & reserve the rest of the bacon for the candied bacon garnish.
- For the candied bacon: Season the bacon with the Rub on one side, flip the bacon strips, & season the other side with brown sugar & the Rub.
- For the rest of the bacon: Season the bacon with the Rub.
- Place all of the bacon on the grill over indirect heat.
- Cook the savory bacon that will be stuffed in the cinnamon rolls (not the candied bacon) 5-7 minutes until it’s cooked about 40% of the way through before removing from the grill. Continue cooking the candied bacon over indirect heat.
- Unravel the cinnamon roll dough & place 1 par-cooked strip of savory bacon in the middle of each roll. Roll the dough back into shape, keeping 1 side of the roll flush with the bacon to use as the top of the roll.
- Melt some butter in a pan, then roll the pan in order to coat the sides in butter & prevent the cinnamon rolls from sticking.
- Place the cinnamon rolls in the buttered pan & put on the grill over indirect heat.
- Add some hickory wood to the fire on the grill to add a kiss of smoke, & cook the cinnamon rolls at a grill temp of 300-350 degrees.
- While everything cooks, take the icing from the pack of cinnamon rolls & mix in a bowl with brown sugar (to taste) & a few drops of maple extract.
- Check on the candied bacon; when the bacon is cooked through & the brown sugar has caramelized, remove from heat & chop into garnish-sized bits
- When the cinnamon rolls are golden brown, remove them from the grill, ice them with the maple brown sugar icing, & garnish with the candied bacon.
To see the full process in action, watch the video below.