Warm up with Beer Chili in a Bacon Bowl!
As the weather gets colder, it’s the perfect time to make a nice big pot of chili to share with your family! This Beer Chili in a Bacon Bowl is the ultimate meal to warm you up when it’s chilly outside. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 onion
- 6-10 jalapeños to taste
- Neutral cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground beef (*Optional: substitute turkey)
- Low-sodium beef broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 5 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp GQue BBQ the Rub
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 can / 16 oz beans (your choice of kidney, pinto, black beans, etc.)
- Bottle of beer (cook’s choice)
- 1-2 packs of bacon (for bacon bowl & garnish)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Set up your grill with lump charcoal & hickory wood (watch the video below to see how it’s done).
- Chop onions & jalapenos, reserving a few whole jalapenos for garnish.
- Add oil, chopped onions, jalapeños, & G-Que BBQ’s the Rub (to taste) in an uncovered dutch oven. Cook in a covered grill for approximately 7 minutes until onions & jalapeños have softened.
- Add ground beef to the dutch oven, spreading the meat out to create as much surface area as possible & seasoning with the Rub.
- Cover the grill & cook at around 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While the meat cooks, roast the whole jalapeños you reserved for garnish, taking off the heat when finished.
- Once the meat has cooked through, break it up into crumbles with a spoon or spatula. *Optional: Drain off the accumulated grease if you want a leaner chili.
- Add low-sodium beef broth, tomato sauce, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, & beans to your mixture.
- Cook chili in the covered grill for 1-2 hours.
- Add 1 bottle of beer & let the chili cook down for about 30 minutes.
- While the chili cooks, it’s time to make your bacon bowl & bacon bit garnish! Here are instructions for how to make the bacon bowl.
- For the bacon bit garnish, put some strips of bacon on the grill. Once the bacon is cooked through, chop into bacon bits.
- Once the chili is finished cooking, spoon into a bacon bowl & garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, & roasted jalapeños.
To see the full process in action, watch the video below.!